Sunday, April 15, 2012

James Franco is in the HOUSE

4/13/12 James Franco was having a book signing at a book store called Strand Book Store in the city.  I have to say this was the worst book signing I have ever been to and I just want to point out this had nothing to do with James Franco.  I'll start from the beginning.

My sister Brooke and I went to Strand book store in the city at around 2pm.  We got there and we went to buy the book.  We decided to buy one book because it was really expensive and they had a deal you could also get in if you bought a $20 gift card.  I had to run to class and I wouldn't be back until 5:30pm

Now fast forward to 6pm Brooke and I meet up at Strand Bookstore.  We checked it out and then I wandered off to find out where to go for the signing.  The people who worked there weren't really informed about the signing because they didn't know for where the people to go.  It was quite confusing and by the time we found out where to go the line was very long.  Then we had to wait for about an hour outside.  I was glad it was nice out and there were some nice people there to talk to in line.  By the time we got in there were almost no seats left.  They let you choose where to sit.  I found it ironic that they would crowd the floor that they had expensive old collectible books.  As everyone squeezed in together the event started.  First two people (i'm guessing they were workers at Strand) got up both with bandanas covering their faces and start throwing papers in everyones faces.  That pissed me off because I don't like papers being thrown at me and I'm guessing no one else does either.  Worst of all the paper was about Strand and I guess it was to help keep the store.    I'm guessing its also why the workers decided to take their time kicking out these people.  Then we got to see a video that James Franco did called "Penis nose in Paris".  It was an interesting movie.  Then some guy got up to speak and he spoke for like 20 minutes.  It felt like 5 hours and he was reading as if he thought the event was all about him.  Then there were people in masks who were meant to be the panel and even James Franco was wearing a mask.  I still today don't understand the point of the panel.  Next another lady was talking to James Franco and asking him questions.  I must say I was disappointed.  I didn't come there to hear random people speak.  I came for James Franco.  Finally they let the audience ask the questions.  Sadly since the people took so much time from James Franco he could only be asked three questions from the audience.  Luckily I was the last person to ask the question.  I asked if he ever used a bolex because he said before in the event that he likes to see how the film industry has changed over the years.  He said he had and then we started having a conversation.  I found out that James Franco and I were on separate pages of the conversation because the lady who was asking questions before kept interrupting him so he didn't know what we were talking about.  That really annoyed me.

The book signing started and oh my god CHAOS broke out.  The people working the event did not care what we did because there were over 100 people on the floor and all mobbed James Franco.  The workers kept yelling different things for us to.  They didn't care about having a line.  I felt horrible for James Franco because he had so many people in his face, and the workers were just moving the chairs and not caring.  Worst of all there was paper all over the floor which anyone could of slipped on and have hurt themselves.  Then as time passed I didn't see the line moving so I decided to get up close pictures of James Franco.  Brooke stayed in line because she really wanted to meet him.  Then one of the workers who was having a conversation I guess with one of her friends said no more pictures and then went back to her conversation.  Of course no one listened and kept taking pictures with him.  Then the lady looked over and yelled it out again and of course no one listened because she didn't care and we all knew it.  My sister finally gave up on standing on line and she knew that she wouldn't be able to meet him.  So we tried taking a picture with him in the background.  As we did that they said the event was over and we all had to leave.  One of the people there started to shove my sister away.  She just wanted a picture with him even if it was just in the background.  The workers at Strand Book store in the city just didn't care and made it very obvious.  I had never been so upset before in my life at a book signing.

This book was expensive and I didn't pay for it to not be signed so we returned the book.  When we bought the book it came with a free tote bag.  When they took the book they even had the nerve to take the tote bag too.  That was a slap in the face.

We tried to catch James Franco as he was coming-out but there were just to many people.  Overall I really enjoyed seeing James Franco.  I don't think any of this was his fault.  I thought he handled the situation very well.  Being mobbed by so many people with no security is just insane, but he handled himself so well.  I really respect him.

Just a heads up if you want to go to a book signing I recommend NOT going to any Strand Book Store.  You pay a lot of money to be disrespected. I'm sticking with Barnes and Nobles because they have better prices and they know how to treat the people with respect and organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment