Saturday, June 4, 2011

Thank You Jimmy Fallon

If you ever have watched Late Night with Jimmy Fallon then you know about the segment "Thank You Notes".  Jimmy Fallon does this segment every Friday and all of his thank you notes are just hilarious.

On May 25, 2011 was the day of Jimmy Fallon's book signing in the city of Thank You Notes.  I won't lie but at this time I had only watched maybe 1 or 2 episodes of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.  I thought I would go because it seemed like fun.  My sister Brooke wanted to come a long so I figured we might as well make this a fun day.  We bought some wooden flowers, I bought an I <3 Jimmy shirt, and we wrote him a thank you note.  I even had planned on proposing to him.  A fake proposal and no it wans't about marriage but instead I was going to say "Jimmy Fallon will you make me the happiest girl in the world by telling me where to get tickets to your show".  I figured it would be funny.

As any other book signing I made sure to get their early.  The event started at 7pm, so I decided I wanted to be in the city by noon, and we were.  But before we went to the event we decided to get lunch because we were going to be at the Barnes and Nobles for about 7 hours and longer.  We had a quick lunch and then walked to Barnes and Nobles which was around the corner.  We headed up to the top floor where the event was taking place and we decided to sit in some chairs.  There is a space in this Barnes and Nobles where you can sit and read your books, but since Jimmy Fallon was coming that night they closed off the area around 2pm.  Brooke and I just sat their reading and going on our computers for about 2 hours.  When they closed the section we then went downstairs to their cafe.  We really didn't do much but sit at a table and try to waste time for a few hours.  Even thought the section would open at 4pm I figured we should go up around 3pm.  I wanted to be on the floor even if we had to pretend to look at books to read.  Surely enough I wasn't the only one doing that.  Since we still weren't allowed to line up I saw a film section and looked at the books.  I saw this one book that looked interesting and I wanted to buy it.  I was glad Brooke was there because I could go buy the book and she could get in line.

By the time I came back up from buying the book I saw the line was forming.  So I moved as fast as I could to get in line. I was glad about the spot I got on line because we were in the beginning of the line.  I figured we would make it to the first row.  We had to wait on the line for another hour.  Brooke and I started conversations with people around us in line.  This is one of the perks of being at book signings is meeting people.  It also helps pass the time when your having a conversation with someone.  Finally what had seemed like forever they let us into the seating area and said we can sit anywhere we wanted, but we couldn't sit in the front row.  I was shocked because normally they seat you and usually the front row is open to sit in.  Still it didn't matter we got in the second row.  Now we had about 3 hours to waste.

To most people 3 hours to do nothing would be torture.  For me I didn't mind it because I came prepared.  I brought a few books from home and I started to read them.  When I wasn't reading I was talking to the people around me.  I also would walk around just for the fun of it and because I had to stretch.  Sitting down for a long time can become uncomfortable.  When I didn't have anything to do I was watching people set up for tonight.  I noticed they were setting up a keyboard.  I had forgot that James from the Roots would be coming tonight.  Two stars in one night it reminded me of my first book signing with Tina Fey because Grizz Chapman also came to support Tina Fey.  I also found it fascinating that it happened on my first book signing and now it would be happening on my sister's first book signing.

Finally the time had come.  Jimmy Fallon had not arrived yet but James did.  I saw him walk to the keyboard.  I don't think many people realized it was him because everyone was to busy waiting for Jimmy Fallon.  Brooke said to me "Why don't you give him a rose".  I was like alright so I walked over to him and gave him a wooden rose.  He was cool about it and said thank you.  Then he put the flower on his keyboard. I tried to take a picture of the flower on the key board but it was hard to see the flower.  Since the keyboard was on a stage and I wasn't it just didn't seem possible.  Then about 15 minutes later the star of the event had arrived.  Their was an uproar of screaming fans and applause.  I love the yelling part because its the only time you can yell in a store and not get kicked out for it.

After the 30 seconds Jimmy Fallon had to do for the paparazzi, he walked onto the stage and took his seat.  Now the interview was starting and I have to say this was the best interview because he said some jokes and he SANG!!  Now that was pretty cool getting to listen to Jimmy Fallon sing some of his parodies that he does on his show.  I have videos of him singing and parts of his interview that I will post at the end of this post.

Me and Jimmy Fallon

Brooke and Jimmy Fallon

Me and James
Jimmy Fallon had everyone laughing so hard that our stomachs hurt. He even did some of his thank you notes.  He recited a few from his book and it was awesome.  When the interview had ended he got off stage to go do the book signing.  Even James followed him to book sign too.  I was shocked I didn't know he was also book signing.  Brooke and I were in the second row which meant we were the first few people to go up to get our book signed.  Now this was a different book signing that I have never been too.  What I mean is that Jimmy Fallon took his time with each person that went up to meet him.  He even let us take pictures and the same is said for James.  I thought that was awesome.  While we were on line I prepared the wooden roses and the shirt that I brought.  Since I couldn't fit into it I kind of tucked it in around me like a tube top.  Brooke was a head of me so she got to meet him first.  She handed him the thank you note we both wrote.  He seemed to really like it and I was glad about that.  Then it was my turn.  I said "Here are some wooden flowers for you.  They are non allergetic flowers, and the worse thing that can happen is if you smell the flowers you will get splinters up your nose".  Jimmy Fallon started to touch the flowers because he didn't believe they were fake.  I also added "I wanted to wear this shirt I got but I couldn't because it didn't fit".  He asked "Why don't you just return it"?  I said "I don't think I could because the tag fell off and I don't think they will take it back".  He said "They won't care just return it". I said I would and then I asked "How do people get to get on stage and do all those crazy games you have because I would love to do that"?  he said " It depends on the day you come to the show".  I just said that's cool.  I didn't propose because someone had told me where to get tickets to his show, so I didn't feel like it was necessary.  What was cool was that I got to take a picture with him and so did Brooke.  We then moved over and went to James.  I told him how cool was because he really was and still is.  He even signed my book and wrote "Thanks for the rose".  Now I thought that was pretty cool.  I even got a picture with him.

That was the end of our adventure of Jimmy Fallon's book signing.  It was an awesome event and very entertaining.

Here is one link to the videos.  There are more videos of the book signing on my account that I have uploaded if you want to check out
http://www.youtube.com/user/tvkid43?feature=mhee#p/a/u/0/xXBxDiqCCUA

No comments:

Post a Comment