Wednesday, June 8, 2011

LEGENDARY SUGAR RAY LENORD

All boxing fans listen up.  Sugar Ray Lenord was in NYC signing his new book The Big Fight: My Life In and Out of the Ring.  I really enjoyed this book signing, even though there were no discussions or questions it was still pretty cool from the start to the end.

Sugar Ray Lenord
On June 7, 2011 I went to Sugar Ray Lenord's book signing event around 7am.  I was pretty tired because it was so early in the morning, or at least was for me.  I was the third person in line and I couldn't wait for Barnes and Nobles to open up at 9am so I could get the book.  I thought the book might be interesting because I'm not a big sports fan.  I still like to read about new things and boxing is one of them.  When the store opened I kept to myself in line and started to read the book.  I did this for about an hour and a half and then I decided to get some breakfast across the street.  The people on line were very kind and they weren't going to kick me out of the line if I left.  After I came back I went straight to reading again.  I was very interested in the book, and I hoped to get it finished by the time the book signing started.  Sadly I wouldn't be able to finish on time, but that doesn't matter.

Signed boxing glove
While reading the book I started getting tired, so I decided to take a break from reading.  I then decided to see how many people were on line, and by this time a few more people had gotten on line.  One person on line recognized me from one of the book signings I went to and he came over and we started to talk.  It wasn't a long conversation and when we were done he left and I went back to sitting.  When I was trying to stretch my legs I accidently kicked one of the guys on line on the back of his leg. I thought "My god I'm an idiot"  I then started to apologize.  I told him I didn't mean to I was just stretching.  He was cool about it.  What he did next was ask if I wanted to buy a boxing glove for a $1 to get signed.  I thought what the hell its a dollar and its something to get signed so I bought it from him.  I really liked the boxing glove because it gave me something to do.  Even though it was just one I put it on and started to pretend to be a boxer.  Yes I did get a few stares, but this is NYC everybody does crazy things there.  If you can go to NYC and not find anything interesting happening on the streets.  Then your not in the real NYC.

I started to talk more to the people in line.  The time was passing by very fast, and I didn't mind waiting.  I had my boxing glove to play with and the book and the people in line.  I even met a young boy about 5 years old who was going around to everyone in line and just talking to them.  He was very cute and I think he was very excited to meet Sugar Ray Lenord.  Finally it was 12pm just 30 minutes away from the book signing.  While I was sitting talking with the young boy, Sugar Ray Lenord came out of his car and into the Barnes and Nobles.  I was like come on couldn't of waited two more minutes so I could take a picture.  I wasn't really upset.  I just found it funny during the one moment I was not paying attention he shows up.   It wasn't to long after until we brought inside to wait for the book signing.  I was excited and I didn't know what I was going to say to him.  I knew nothing about boxing and about his career.  I figured maybe I would just wing it like I normally did.  Luckily this time I wouldn't have to.

Sugar Ray Lenord
Finally the signing had begun. I waited for 2 minutes until it was my turn to go up to him.  When I got up to meet him I was very nervous.  My mind went blank and I didn't know what to say.  He then looked up at me and said "Are those head phones for your music"?  I said "Yea".  Then he said " They look cool.  Who makes them".  I said this in a very chipper voice "Radio Shack".  He said "That's cool".  I said "Yea they are you should get a pair".  I then walked away because if I didn't the workers probably would of told me I had to leave and I didn't want that.

I couldn't believe what had happened and I was pretty excited that I got to meet him.  He was a very nice guy.  I enjoyed getting to meet him, and I'm glad I came to this book signing.

No comments:

Post a Comment