Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Adam's Family on BROADWAY


The Adams Family has been on television starting in the 1960's and now in 2011 it is on Broadway.  I wasn't sure what to expect when I planned on going to the show.  Honestly I was more interested in seeing Bebe Neuwirth who played Morticia.  I have seen her on the show Cheers and I saw how she can play a dark character with humor.  I thought her to be Morticia in The Adam's Family was a great role to see her play.  The rest of the cast included Roger Rees as Adam Gomez, Adam Grupper as Mal Beinke, Heidi Blickenstaff as Alice Beinke, Jackie Hoffman as Grandma, Zachary James as Lurch, Rachel Potter as Wednesday, Adam Riegler as Pugsley, Jesse Swenson as Lucas Beinke and Uncle Fester was played by an understudy Jim Borstelmann.

When I go to the theatre I saw the gift shop and it was pretty cool stuff.  They had several shirts that had quotes the characters in the show say during the play.  Some of them were kind of funny or just plain old cool.  I got one because I thought the saying was pretty interesting it was a quote said by Wednesday.  When I went to my seat there was one thing on everybody's mind who was sitting down.  Why is it so cold here?  Well at least I think everyone was thinking about that.  It felt like it was 55 degrees in there.  I was glad I brought a sweater with me.  

About 30 minutes later the show started.  I have to say I was not all impressed with the show.  The Adam's Family on Broadway seemed to be more happy and cheerful than usual.  It seemed strange and then having a plot about Wednesday an 8 year old who wants to get married.  I know the Adam's Family is a strange family but I wouldn't expect them to let their 8 year old daughter get married.  Also Wednesday didn't have her pig tails.  In the cartoon picture for the Adam's family you can see they drew Wednesday with pig tails.  I guess this show was more for little kids than older ones.  

Jesse Swenson
Adam Riegler
Rachel Potter
Bebe Neuwirth and Me
Jim Borstelmann
Jim Borstelmann
Adam Grupper
Zachary James
Roger Rees and Me
Well after the show was over I got my stuff and headed out to the stage door.  I was glad I got a good spot up in front.  It wasn't long until some of the cast started to come out.  I have to say I was quite shocked about this cast.  I know it was late at night but I still have never seen a cast of people move so quickly in a line signing autographs trying to get out of there.  It really sucked because since they kept moving it was hard to get decent pictures.  Jesse Swenson was the first one to come out.  He seemed nice but tired at the same time.  Then Heidi Blickenstaff came out.  I don't think anyone realized who she was because she looked completely different out of costume.  Jackie Hoffman came out and she really wanted to get out of there because she signed playbills so fast like I have never seen before.  It was actually quite amazing to watch her go down the line so fast.  Then Adam Riegler came out and he seemed nice.  Rachel Potter was next to come out and she was pretty cool.  I thought she was pretty good on the show because her voice sounded amazing.  Then Bebe Neuwirth came out and before she came out we were told she wouldn't stop for pictures, but only just signing autographs.  Luckily someone next to me asked for a picture and got one so I did the same and I got to take a picture too. Jim Borstelmann came out next and he was very funny.  He actually kept coming out at random times to say hi to people.  He even came out in his make up and he was just so up beat.  Then Adam Grupper came out.  He seemed very nice and tired.  He signed everyone's playbills, took pictures and spoke to people in the crowd.  Zachary James came out and he was tall.  I wanted to ask Zachary James how tall he was but he moved by pretty quick.  About 10 minutes later the last cast member came out to greet the fans.  His name is Roger Rees and he was pretty cool.  He was very nice and calm after his performance on stage.  He did look a bit exhausted.  I was glad to get  a picture with him.

In the end it was a pretty long day, but I still enjoyed it.  I got to meet Adam Carolla and the cast of the Adam's Family all in one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment