Monday, May 30, 2011

The Talented Dick Van Dyke

On May 4, 2011, Dick Van Dyke came to Barnes and Nobles in the city to do a book signing for his new book My Lucky Life In and Out of Show Business.  You are probably thinking who is  Dick Van Dyke?  If you are thinking that let me tell you that you have seen him before.  If you remember the movie Mary Poppins he played Bert.  Or how about another classic movie called Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and he played Caractacus Potts.  I bet your all going "Oh now I know who he is".

Just a few months before Dick Van Dyke came to NYC I started watching the show The Dick Van Dyke Show, now that is a classic show.  I loved watching that show because the humor was just amazingly funny.  And the cast were just brilliant in the show.  If you haven't watched the show yet I recommend you do.  So right now go to your netflix and put the show in your que and then come right back to this blog.

Dick Van Dyke
  The morning of the book signing I was very excited.  I couldn't wait to meet Dick Van Dyke.  I remember getting to the Barnes and Noble around 11am, and then I just sat in line waiting to be seated.  Even though seating wasn't until 4pm I didn't care I was too excited.  While waiting on line I met some very nice people who were also big fans of Dick Van Dyke.  I think these fans were more dedicated to the book signing because they came from Boston and New Jersey.  Now going to a book signing that is hours away or in a different state I think that shows dedication.  And I'm sitting thinking wow I'm just from NY, it doesn't sound that interesting.  I didn't travel hours away from my home just to come to this book signing, but still it was cool talking to them.  I believe we even made a pact to stick together to make sure we all sat near each other, and everyone saved everyone's spot.  For those who have never been to a book signing I want to tell you that the people in lines are usually nice, and they will have your back if you need to step out of line or need them to save your seat.  We all have the same goal and that is to get our books signed and to meet the author.

At 4pm they let us get to our seats to wait for another 3 hours.  I didn't mind because I was in the front row.  At around 4pm there was a crowd of people starting to form, and by 5pm the first section was already filled.  Then around by 6pm  several more people came.  I was very shocked that the room wasn't pact as my first book signing of Tina Fey's book.  I thought for sure that the floor would have been pact because Dick Van Dyke is a big star.  He's been in films and television shows
 for about 50 years.  The movies he's been in have been classics.  At this time the time was moving really slow.  When your excited and time is going as slow as it was its not a lot of fun.  But still I kept watching my phone and checking the time about every minute.  When it was 7pm I knew Dick Van Dyke had arrived by the cheering and clapping.  Everyone was standing up clapping and yelling and just celebrating.

I remember being in the front row and watching him get up on the stage and just becoming star struck.  My mind was racing with a ton of OMG's.  I was just in shock that I was about 2 feet away from him.  When the interview started it was very funny.  Dick Van Dyke knew the perfect time to add a joke.  He even did a few dance moves.  Now I regret not getting that on video.  For those who don't know this Dick Van Dyke is 84 years old. He was very cheerful and always kept smiling.  I kept thinking to myself I have never seen someone smile so much. The way he was acting you would of thought he was in his early 70's.  He has a very upbeat personality.


Dick Van Dyke
Finally the interview had ended and it was time for the book signing.  I was thinking what should I say to him?  I have to say something.  Since I was in the first row in literally 2 minutes I was on line and about to meet him.  So I figured I'll just wing it like I did when I was at the Tina Fey book signing.  So when I got to meet him I was nervous and I said the first words that came out of my mouth.  So I told him "I want to bring back the old classic shows back into this generation of television".  I said it very quietly so I don't think he heard me, but I didn't care.  I was just happy that I got to meet him.

If anyone would like to see some video of his interview here is the link.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tvkid43?feature=mhee#p/u/6/VAwbD0A8kN8

No comments:

Post a Comment